Wednesday 2 October 2013

SOLVED: Writing a hybrid ISO image to a USB stick/key/thumb drive on OSX is very slow

Being new to OSX and my iMac, I couldn't understand why writing an ISO image to a USB thumb drive was very slow, sometimes taking around 2 hours. Having done the same under Linux I *knew* it wasn't supposed to take that long. Finally I searched for and found the solution in a superuser entry [1], I found a solution: prefix the device name with "r". I also learned that the block size parameter must be specified in lower case on OSX: "bs=1M" instead of "bs=1M" under Linux. WARNING: The device parameters I have used in the following examples may not match the device parameters required in your configuration. *DO NOT* simply copy-and-paste these commands. For example, the following is a command I might use under Linux:
dd if=filename.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=1M
The equivalent command on OSX would be:
dd if=filename.iso of=/dev/rdisk1 bs=1m
Note the "r" in the output device's name, also that the "m" is in lower case. [1] http://superuser.com/questions/421770/dd-performance-on-mac-os-x-vs-linux

No comments:

Post a Comment